Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Warning--don't look if you get queazy :)

So, my surgery went well, I guess. It was only supposed to be like a 20 minute surgery, but it turned in to be over an hour. I guess the cyst was like an iceberg (according to Dr. Kirkby), the mass was underneath. Only 10% of it was sticking out that you can see, and the 90% was huge and spread everywhere (around tendons and stuff). Right now I still have sharp pains in my fingers because he had to untwin this thing around the nerves and stuff in my fingers.
I was babied by my parents for a week and they had to do so much, like help me get dressed, pull up my pants, and fix my hair (like I was a little kid all over again). I am truly grateful that I have them to take care of me. Thanks Mom and Dad!!
Anyway, I got the stitches out yesterday, and the doctor says it looks really good so far, however, if I don't have full mobility in 3 weeks I get to go do physical therapy. Anyway, the first couple of days back at work were difficult because I'm on the computer all day long, so I typed one handed, but I am to do that. Next step, bending the wrist. Anyway, thank you for all your concern on my behalf....the following pictures are kind of gross if you don't want to look I don't mind :) Me right before...nice hat huh?
This is how my hand was for several days
First time I saw my hand. I really didn't think the incision was going to be vertical, I was taken off guard...and it's yellow from the iodine :)
This is my right hand, I had a monster bruise from my IV, you can't really see it, but it was ugly!
Here are my stitches...around day 6 or so
More of my stitches, and my hand was so swollen...even worse than this!
This is today....stitches are out, and I keep these strips for another week.
My hand is still swollen, but so much better than a week ago :)

5 comments:

maccam said...

WOW Michelle...SURGERY! I'm glad it went so well. My cousin had what they called a "book cyst" where they just smashed it with a book and it apparently burst. I know so gross, but it worked. I wonder if that is the same thing only different...???? JK Anyway, hopefully you will have NO MORE pain. Love ya! Cam

Tiff Hunt said...

WOW!! I hope your hand starts to move soon! That must have been a doosy! I am glad all went well. Get to healing!

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

Holy cow!! That's crazy. I'm glad you got it taken care of. I felt the same way at work when I broke my wrist. You get fast at typing one handed!:)

Meghan said...

So glad you're on the mend and the surgery went well!

Kim Thomas said...

congrats on getting it out!